Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 33: Stereotypes and Labels

I know earlier in my blog I had touched on stereotypes in the racism post...

But I don't feel like I touched on it enough...

Everyday people are put down by a name. Just one name does it.

I have always wondered why, when a girl sleeps with a guy after knowing him for one night or two weeks she is IMMEDIATELY dubbed a whore or being too easy, but then guy in the situation is now considered a "god" for "bagging" this girl....

Sticky situation huh? Well trust me boys, you have nicknames too in girl world.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Or how about when you see someone walking around wearing black everyday and you call them Gothic? They aren't Gothic, black is just their favorite color. Or because some guy dresses really nice people may think immediately that he is gay.

Well in the end those people that stereotype like that will end up seeing those people's true colors. That person wearing all black may end up being a great artist or business person. And that guy you thought was gay? He is married to that beautiful blond you could never get with.

Those girls that you think are whores? Well they are pimps in the end too aren't they?

I love how when one girl is a whore, people just assume that all of them will be at some point.

I had a friend who slept with every person that she dated. Yes she dated ALL of them, but in the end was still told she was easy and a skank.

At least she wasn't having one night stands right?

I was recently told that because I ended my relationship that I wanted to go around whoring myself and sleeping with various guys to have fun. Well there are plenty of other ways to have fun then just "sleeping with guys". Just because you may have seen a bunch of girls doing that doesn't mean they all will.

All I can say is that jealousy and immaturity plays a big part is this portion of our society especially in my generation.

I just wish people would put this behind them and realize that labels and stereotypes get you no where. Everyone is different in their own way. No one knows someone as well as they think they do. So think the next time you want to say something about someone you barely know.

Peace

Chelss*

4 comments:

Kim Bolyard said...

Never worry about what other people say...as long as you know who you are and respect yourself...that is all that matters...

peace
Kim

Kim bolyard said...

one more thing... I Love you and I am so proud of the women you have become....
peace
Kim

Chelsea said...

Woman*

Heather Kalafarski said...

Wow... This blog directly affects what I was talking to my friends about today... Boys that sleep with a girl are considered "pimps" and the girl ends up with the label of "whore". No matter how long two people have been dating, or the situation, this is what almost always happens. I thought that maybe, once I started my college career, people would grow up... But I guess for the most part, some people never change.