Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 28: Teen Pregnancy

For my English class I am writing a paper about teen pregnancy and how the rates are rising.

I feel that this is a big issue in our world today. I have researched and found that some of the causes of this are due to media, poor family life, and peer pressure.

The peer pressure shocks me especially after I watched the movie about the real life pregnancy pact. I don't understand how girls could just think it is "cool" to get pregnant at 15 or 16 years old.

The media has a real big impact too. They try to make things look so glamorous. I mean little 12 year old girls are watching their favorite show Zoey 101 and then see on the news that she is pregnant as 16, what do they think of her then? Also, the show Secret Life of American Teenager, girls will watch that show and they could immediately think, if she can do it, I can do it.

There are also the issue of the poor family life. Some kids grow up around no moral help and are not educated enough on the issue, so to them it just happens. There is also acts of molestation and rape in the homes of some young girls which could lead to being pregnant by their own fathers or pregnant later in the future at a young age because now sex is not a meaningful gift anymore.

There is so much hype about this subject I wish there was something more people would do.

In my hometown there is a school for pregnant girls, which I feel is great because then girls in high school could actual get an education and finish to do what they want. But then again what else could this school be saying?

A lot of people talk about having "abstinence programs" in schools, which I believe won't help either. You are telling teenagers NOT to do something, well most likely that results in they WILL do it. There has always been a trend of that.

I wish I could talk to some of these girls and ask what they were thinking when this all happened. I do realize that some of these are accidents, like if the condom breaks or something like that, but I still feel that girls are not being careful enough.

I was hoping for some people to give me some input on situations they have been through or heard of so that I can input this into my essay....

Thanks

Peace

Chelss*

1 comment:

Kim Bolyard said...

great topic....I want to touch on the topic of TV and media....people this is not real....sure it is easy to have a baby on a TV show...that is an hour a week....having a baby is a 24/7 job....sleepless nights, feedings, someone to watch your child while you go to school, work or find time to study....

Remember you have to mature enough to take care of yourself before you could begin to take care of a child. Having a child changes your life...make sure you are in the right place before you do that... be responsible...if you feel you are mature enough to have sex, make sure you are mature enought to prevent getting pregnant. Make sure that you get to fulfill your dreams so you will have no regrets and be able to provide for a child and give them the same oppurtinties
peace
Kim