Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 10: Homelessness in America

Today I was watching a video for sociology about homeless teens. It seems to be a really big issue in our time today. I didn't know there about 2 million homeless people in America. I feel like there isn't alot being done for these people.

They are provided homeless shelters sometimes, but most of them are gender-specific or age specific so then they are split up from their families. Of course living on the streets is no bundle of joy for teens either. They go through numerous amounts of emotional sufferage along with other pain.

In the video various homeless teens talked about how people look down on them because they are homeless. They gave responses like "not every homeless person does drugs" or "because I have no money people don't want to hang out with me anymore." I don't understand what would be wrong. These people need help from our world today, and I don't think there is enough of it out there.

The reason why these teens become homeless is because they are either escaping poverty or abuse, emotional neglect, or may be to old for foster care. By the time you are 18 you are considered to old for foster care. I know plenty of people who just turn 18 the beginning of their senior year in high school. I feel that that rule should be lengthened to the age of 19, or possibly till they graduate from high school giving them a chance to get an education in college.

I truely believe their should be more done on this issue. What do you think might be a great way to help these people?




Peace


Chelss*

No comments: